Friday 7 June 2013

THE DEATH OF LITERATURE, 2230 HOURS 29TH OCTOBER 1969.

 

A suggestive installation instigated by the protective and escapist nature of books produced by myself earlier this year.
 
This piece was produced by myelf in May/June 2012 and exhibited in July 2012, my initial concept was to look at recycling and the ways in which i could use an obsolete material for another purpose.
 
I found my self becoming encapsulated within the world of literature, literally and metaphorically due to having such a diverse range of contextual research and a mountain of 900 paperback and hard back books. I new what message i wanted to display, i just wasn't sure how. I found myself having a "Eureka" moment, where i questioned myself, why do people read?
 
I read to escape what is going on in the real world, to forget about my problems and to allow me even for a brief while to be whoever i want and to be anywhere i want to be. Hence, me creating a repository of books, i built my fort like structure around an illuminated chair; connoting to a person, who is enclosed within the protection and security of books. This is alike the bond formed between me and a novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment